The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking to fill the position of Food Technologist at the P2 level, based in our Headquarters in Rome, Italy.
Under the general supervision of Head of Food Quality Team based in Headquarters (Rome, Italy), the Food Technologist will be responsible for the following key duties:
• Keep abreast of latest food technology issues and development of new food products;
• Establish relationships with key institutions and organizations working in the area of food safety and quality;
• Support the development and implementation of an integrated Food Safety and Quality Management System across all operations;
• Provide technical advice and guidance to WFP management on food processing and means to optimize existing products used for humanitarian purposes;
• Audit suppliers and develop corrective action/preventive action plans on implementation of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP);
• Participate in the technical review of services provided by external contractors and ensure that their performance can be tracked by the food safety and quality management software;
• Establish and maintain collaboration with laboratories in order to improve test methods for analysis of humanitarian food aid commodities, and food;
• Support country offices operations in conducting assessment of local production of processed and nutritious foods;
• Collate and analyse data related to food quality and safety, and formulate control measures to reduce commodity losses and food quality and safety issues;
• Support the implementation of the food incident management system and participate in the response of food incidents;
• Contribute to the preparation of reports related to food quality and safety issues;
• Develop training tools on food technology issues, food quality control, loss prevention and mitigation, and provide training to WFP staff, local authorities, stakeholders and food processors;
• Perform other duties as required.
Qualifications & Experience Required
• Advanced university degree in Food Technology, Food Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, Microbiology or related field.
• At least three years of postgraduate progressively responsible professional experience in quality assurance and quality control in a food production factory;
• Experience with the canning industry and/or food fortification.
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
• Good knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP);
• Knowledge of food safety and quality management systems (i.e. ISO, BRC, IFS, etc.);
• Knowledge of complementary food characteristics for children and other vulnerable groups;
• Training and experience in utilising computers and standard software packages and systems;
• Excellent analytical skills, critical reasoning and detail oriented;
• Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing;
• Ability to work well in group situations and participate and contribute to a team effort;
• Flexibility in accepting work assignments outside normal desk description;
• Excellent follow-up and sensitivity to deadlines;
• Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with clients and partners;
• Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
• Good knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procedures is an asset.
• Fluency in oral and written English with an intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages).
Terms and Conditions:
Selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term contract with a probationary period of one year and eligible for the Rest and Recuperation (R&R) scheme. He/she will be required to travel abroad sometime to remote and difficult locations.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. For more details please visit icsc.un.org
Go to: http://i-recruitment.wfp.org/vacancies/15-0020158
Step 1: Register and create your online CV.
Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
NOTE: You must complete Step 1 and 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
Deadline for applications: 14 January 2016
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.